AETN Foundation Membership
Donor Bill of Rights
Each nonprofit organization holds a public trust to improve the quality of life. Likewise, philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, the AETN Foundation accepts several guiding principles that all donors have the right to...
- Be informed of AETN's mission, of the way the AETN Foundation intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- Be informed of the identity of those serving on the AETN Foundation governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsiblities.
- Have access to the AETN Foundation's most recent financial statements.
- Be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- Receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- Be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- Be assured that privileged or confidential information about themselves and their giving will not be disclosed to unathorized parties outside of the AETN Foundation.
- Expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- Be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- Feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
- Ensure that all solicitation materials are accurate and correctly reflect the AETN Foundation's mission and use of solicited funds.
- Receive informed, accurate and ethical advice about the value and tax implication of potential gifts.
- Give their consent before the AETN Foundation might alter the conditions of a gift.
- Know that their names will not be sold, rented, leased, traded, loaned, donated, transferred or exchanged from AETN Foundation donor lists.
- Know with confidence that the AETN Foundation will use accurate and consistent generally accepted accounting methods that conform to the appropriate guidelines adopted by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB).